Tribute To Mentors


It is very easy to get caught up in the day-to-day grind, so busy we don’t look farther ahead than what is right in front of us at the moment. That keeps us from setting and striving towards long range goals.

While looking ahead is vital is worthwhile to look back at the road traveled as well. It is a good time to reflect on those people who influenced you and perhaps pushed you into new success that you may not have found on your own.

Recently, I ran into one of my mentors, a former co-worker. As we caught up, I was reminded of some of the ways that he had encouraged me. We had worked on a project together to implement online reporting for our police department, something new at the time. He had suggested that I write a magazine article and gave me contact info for various law enforcement magazines. The first one I tried accepted my article and I was published!

To all our mentors - thank you!
Since that time, I’ve written many articles and have contributed to several books and been cited in other books. Now I have a book deal of my own with Butterworth-Heinemann for a book due out next year.

That same friend taught me about public speaking, assisted with training sessions, and even helped when I hosted a seminar on school security. He truly played a key role in my professional development.

So take a moment from the day’s busy schedule to look back and remember those who helped you reach new heights and be sure to let them know how much you appreciate it. And be ready to mentor someone else and help him or her reach his or her own potential.

 

Eric Smith, CPP is the leading authority on organizational self-defense. He has extensive experience in law enforcement as well as security management. Eric is available for staff education and security awareness training as well as business coaching to help organizations provide safe workplaces. To learn more email eric@businesskarate.com.

 

 

If you would like to reprint this post, please contact Eric at eric@businesskarate.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment